Tuesday, April 10, 2007

When life gives you bad strawberries, make Pannekoeken!

Ok, so we've all heard the saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonaid!" Today I had a brilliant revelation. It all started last week when I decided to buy some strawberries. I got 2 containers of them since they were 2 for $4.00. I bought one that had ripe and ready-to-eat strawberries and one that wasn't quite yet ready (thinking I was quite intelligent). Well, the first container was good. They were ripe and tasty...whereas the second were still not completely ripe, but starting to go bad. So much for my bright idea!
Today I figured that I better eat them instead of throwing them out (I've become much more frugal since living in a third world country). So, I sauteed them up, threw some sugar in (a lot more than normal), and made Pannekoeken! For those of you who don't know what Pannekoeken is... I must say you are quite deprived and may want to get the recipe. It's one of my favorites! It's a Dutch baked pancake. You can saute your fruit of choice and add flour, milk, and an egg.... and it turns out to be one of the most delicious breakfast foods I've ever had. (It's right up there with Swedish pancakes!)
Sometimes things aren't as we expected. I thought I'd have a plethra of delicious strawberries and almost wasted a whole container of them. Sometimes you go to work with a great attitude and nothing goes your way. Or you wake up ready to take on the world...and after hitting your head 3 times, you realize that you actually got out of bed on the wrong side. Sometimes you go to church thinking that you're going to leave with a better attitude and you walk out the door with the same stinkin' thinkin' that you entered with. We always want more: more of God, more money, more clothes, more friends. We want a bigger house, nicer or newer car, and a better job. When it's cold, we want it hot. When it gets too hot, we want air conditioning. Whatever it may be...we're just not satisfied.
We have to make the best of our situation. We have to be content with what we have and remember that we're just passing through. Our focus should be on heavenly things. We should, as the Bible says, "Keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat at the right hand of the throne of God."
So when you're strawberries are bad, don't just toss them out...make Pannekoeken or even strawberry shortcake (you just may need a little extra sugar)!!

3 comments:

dangeresque dan said...

I prefer lemonade. No rotten fruit.

Jamylou said...

Nevermind Richard. My fruit wasn't rotten (yet). It was just a little wrinkly and turning colors.

Anonymous said...

Be still and know that I am God.
In everything give thanks. Peace and love, Ms. Liz