Monday, April 30, 2007

A Different World

At 4:30 AM, the alarm sounds...I sluggishly slide out of bed to start my day....
I hurry to get out the door on time and drive my car for about an hour to arrive at a place that's so diverse, so amazing that most people wouldn't believe it's in Minnesota....
It's the St. Mary's Hospital which is known world-wide as part of the Mayo Clinic.
As I walk through the halls, I hear English, Spanish, Asian languages, Arabic, African tribal languages, and languages that I definately could not place unless I asked them (then again, they probably don't even speak English so I would have to get an interpreter). What an honor it is to look around at the amazing people that I work with... Nurses from Africa, Europe, many of the 50 states, and all around the world and doctors from South America, Germany, England, the Middle East, Asia and who knows where else. The staff is so diverse, I'd imagine there are people from atleast half of the countries in the world.
Who would have known that in our very own state would be such an amazing place?
As I drive back home, wondering where I've just been.... I thank the Lord for giving me a whole different world within my reach.

3 comments:

JC said...

Hi Jamie-on Sunday I was visiting a friend whose baby is in NICU here in Springfield. While there, one of the top ped. kidney dr. in our state came in to give a surgery result. On his way out, he mentioned that he had just returned from Haiti where medical conditions were not even near what we have. He talked about how the hospital had now roof as it had been destroyed in a storm and the patients just sat in their beds baking in the hot sun. It made me think of you and your passion.
I miss you my friend.

dangeresque dan said...

It's just like your homeland- the Iron Range. Up here there is a multitude of people from various ethnicities. And we even have our very own ecclectic variety of languages. Rangerese, Ranger, English, Minnesotan, Finnish, Polish, Norwegian . . .etc.

Faye... said...

oh Kranny! Yes, the Iron Range.